Saturday 21 February 2015

Cambridge and a book fair!

Still dying. Haven't kicked the cold or gotten my voice back. It was such a ridiculous hassle dealing with ordering things and picking up my tickets and such without a voice just before the show last night... Today would be an all day extravaganza. I almost bailed on the train ticket (cheap and non refundable of course) and stayed home to rest and recuperate. But in the end I went. I figured I could go in later than my usual day trip and leave earlier...

Also I'm getting pretty decent at mime... hint: I use an exaggerated thumbs up symbol with a smile a lot... ;)

Train ride was fabulous. Fast and comfortable... Definitely have to do this more often. Buses are great too of course... but this was a smooth and fast ride!

Then I get to Cambridge at a reasonable hour... and wander my way towards town center... Stop at the Fitzwilliam Museum because it is there. (I refused to take a guide book or a map of things to do or see... I wanted to just go with the flow... and hit up the book fair.) It was pretty cool. Saw some Rodins and a Van Gough and some other impressionists... lots of Greek and Egyptian artifacts... A really excellent and maintained sarcophagus fully painted... Also a kitty mummy!!! This is so cool on the one hand. On the other it means they killed a kitten for a sacrifice thousands of years ago... Kitten mummy!!! (it's like the twisted version of unikitten from the Lego Movie)

Next stop... street market... bc apparently I can't live without my street food lunch! Today it was a bagel. I haven't had a bagel yet in the UK... and they have always been a fave of mine since childhood. In fact, during the old 98 Europe trip one of the things that struck me most was how hard it was to find bagels in Europe... that and Mexican food, which oddly enough I had for the first time this week as well (was it just last night?)... How times have changed?! Now Britain is global cuisine-wise...

Next the book fair...where I got to drool over fantastically expensive antique books. The SB planned parenthood used book sale this was NOT... But the books were SO pretty!!! I let myself drool. And I bought a couple of cheap paperback British versions of some Raymond Chandler books. One I'd never even heard of. And I love Chandler... and they keep mentioning his British-ness here. Which is new to me. I guess he lived here for a bit before he went to LA and created Marlowe. I'll let you all know how Lady in the Lake is... (Is that a fabulous title for a Chandler hardboiled set in the UK or what?)

Next stop meander the town. Kings College... Trinity... Round church... Cricket clock... Bridge of sighs... a quick stop for tea (herbal) and a muffin... Then even song at Kings College Chapel.

And then I was out for the count... Home again home again...
And tomorrow is the parade for Chinese New Year... the largest celebration outside Asia! (Puts SF in perspective. ..)

No comments:

Post a Comment