Saturday 2 May 2015

Paris day 1

Ok... this was a fun day!

Tho really you're going to see that it shouldn't have been... C:

First my confession: I took the night bus in from London (and am taking one to Barcelona) instead of flying or taking Eurostar. I was so cheap! And I really really am working on that! But I *was* able to sleep a bit on the bus... so that is a totally good thing. And my first day in Paris wasn't completely ruined by being too knackered to do anything. (Let's keep our fingers crossed for Barcelona as well!)

I roll into the city around 8am... and have to get into town. I was meeting the Airbnb guy at 10 am right downtown at Gare du Nord. For a brief exciting moment I thought I'd detour past Pere Lachaise and pay respects to Jim Morrison. But I came to my senses and realized that I would probably get a little lost and would have to plan in extra time... So I decided to be safe. I *did* do PL last visit, at least.

So then of course I was at our meeting place too early! But I did come with a book, of course, so it was fine. And of course I had a croissant for breakfast! And coffee... tiny lovely little coffees! (Just wait, there was a lot of coffee.)

Met the guy to exchange keys and such and he took me out to breakfast at this very cute little bar where of course he knew the owner and introduced me around... I didn't have any more pastry... but I *did* have another coffee!

Then we took a Renault cab (to me this is a significant detail) to the apartment... Right around the corner from the Sacre Coeur. Right next door to the Museum of Monmartre... It's a bananas location!!

Rach and Chris couldn't meet right away so I wandered down to a coffee shop I'd read about called Craft. I have a list from an article about the 25 best coffee shops in the world... of which I'm seeing 6 on this trip, I believe it is... They discuss Hong Kong and Korea and Copenhagen and lots of places I'm not going as well. But I figured I might as well see what's so important there... And it was a great coffee... I got a cappuccino, and then overheard a conversation with the batista and another customer about how tourists always get the cap... and I felt a little bad. If their coffee is so amazing I should probably drink their coffee!! Not a cup full of (albeit excellent) milk! The sandwich was good too!! My first Paris baguette of the trip!

Hustle back to meet up with Rach and Chris... and the weather is not our friend this day, btw, drizzly and clammy all day!

So we decided to visit the museum next door that looked interesting. And it really was! Tho it was crazy busy: holiday weekend and everyone wanting to get out of the rain... But there were all these paintings from Monmartre people who I loved... and so many used cats in their works!

And really the most important thing was that Chris was having *the day*. It was fun to watch and totally infectious! It was like a kid on a birthday or something. He basically was the tour guide of the museum... Rach helped too of course! An absolute ton! In fact she made the day BE Chris' best day...

For example, after the museum we decided to get (a tea this time) at the restaurant from Amelie. It was so great and French too! Rach spotted this local celebrity and grabbed Chris, who ran up and got to meet this person and even exchange contact information. He was practically giddy after that! So sweet!

Then we went to get an absinthe, as I'd never had any before... So of course we go to the place that had been around since the 19th century and Latrec and Picasso and Baudelaire and all these amazing people used to frequent! And of course Chris and Rachel bumped into an old friend from a previous visit and had to have a quick conversation and introduce me around... and wave at a waitress at a bar they like... they are such locals!

Spoiler alert: they are seriously thinking about making this move permanent!

And they went all out for the absinthe too! There was this art noveau fountain filled with ice and water with little spigots that the fancy cups with sugar on a slotted spoon placed on it were placed under... and the absinthe was in the glasses and the water diluted the absinthe just the right amount and the sugar mixed in with just the right swirling fashion that it was *the green fairy* of fame... And it was a really good brand that Chris had never heard of. And is now in love with... and this is when we started saying it was his day...

And also of course we started chatting as we drank (and got some bread in our tummies to be on the safe side) and got super philosophical... like *super* philosophical... and Rach pointed out that's the nature of absinthe... Why people like it so much who are poets and musicians and such... It was a lot of fun.

We then went to dinner at a fave place of theirs where they knew the owner chef and had been over to their place for dinner and such. It was a classic amazing French crepe place! And the crepes were amazing!! We even got a dessert crepe to share though we were that full! And a lovely wine... coffee (espresso this time) and a dessert wine I don't remember the name of to finish. The meal too hours. It was just right!

And we walked all over Monmartre...even in the annoying rain. It was a crazy fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment