Monday 30 March 2015

Oxford!

Sunday we go to Oxford as a class trip. UK weather apparently had had enough and decided to send us tornado weather. (Ok not a tornado... but that kind of windy dark sometimes rainy brutal weather...) The weather made for an adventure in itself! Fortunately I scheduled many indoor activities for us.

Got to Oxford around 11am... amid all the wind and rain ... just a quick rush across the block to the Ashmolean Museum... UK's oldest museum, apparently. I had the students find me something class related in the place to present... and then I gave them an hour to wander. It wasn't anywhere near enough time... I'll just have to return to Oxford... again!!

Covered Market next... not quite so rainy... but also Sunday and mostly closed. I once again told them to find me one class related element and grab lunch (it was noon) and meet again in an hour. I grabbed a sandwich and wandered around what stands were open... bought some post cards... and then waited for the students... right by the fish stall... poss not my best idea!

Rain almost entirely stopped... Still crazy windy... Went on a quick walking tour. 2 Twain places and 2 HP places... only peeked in as everywhere in Oxford charges you even for looking... Didn't even get to see the tree Malloy dropped out of in Goblet of Fire... sigh! The Twain sites, btw, were All souls and Sheldonian... his procession to receive his honorary degree.

Next stop...2pm... a lecture on Americanization and Globalization through culture at the Bodelian. Really good talk and I think the students got a *lot* out of it. Not the least of which the idea of hearing the US being discussed and theorized by non-Americans. What does the academic world outside the US think of US culture. That is always fascinating! We were all surprised at how positive it all was. C:

Bonus: the Divinity Hall was a HP film site... the Hogwarts infirmary. I got them to one after all!!

That was it for class... most of the students actually just went home. I find that shocking! The weather had definitely improved by then... I stayed and told whoever wanted to could come with me to the Literary Festival and then The Eagle and the Child... My S&T students were the only takers.

It was too fun at the festival getting books and souvenirs... and then we did pay our respects/homage to the Inklings at the Bird and the Baby!!

I then went off on my own to see a Alice in Wonderland influenced performance at the Sheldonian. So I got to see where Twain received his honorary degree over 100 years ago... C: A strange and lovely performance.

Last Oxford visit... veggie pub of course! The Gardeners Arms. Sherry and Alex and I met back up for dinner. We didn't finish until around 9pm.

And that was Oxford... Bused back to London... and it was after 11pm till I got home! And I feel like I didn't do anything in Oxford!! But I was busy all day!! I just have to go back! C:

No comments:

Post a Comment