Tuesday 13 January 2015

Chores

I suppose I have to do them in London-town, too. Yesterday was quiet-- not necessarily bad, just quiet. I ran around and bought laundry detergent, coffee, and other equally thrilling items on any shopping list. It rained… and then sprinkled… and then drizzled.

My landlord and his family accosted me as I came home-- They were locked out of their flat (above mine) and wondered how I could help them. Here is the deal: these are the same people who scream at each other and slam doors all the time. (In all fairness, the doors close in no other way, it turns out.) These are also the people who did the opposite of clean the flat before I arrived. I mean, disgusting! And so of course, they must also need my help! Also, it showed me how critical it is for me to keep my keys on me ALWAYS. There is no other way into our places. The landlady herself was back in Poland, the caretaker downstairs is in Argentina. They had keys… The caretaker has a helper guy swing by and get his mail… But that guy didn't have a way to be accessed. BUT-- I found it! I had an email from the original caretaker with a "for emergencies only" phone number. I saved the day! And the middle child of the family was a perfectly lovely kid… And now I don't hate my upstairs neighbors anymore… Nutty, huh??

I did do ONE interesting thing yesterday: I've been stalking this veggie restaurant since before I got to London. It's one of the best ones in town. Then, of course, I got here and got completely spoiled in terms of veggie restaurants. Still, I felt I HAD to go to this one. And so I did. There is a lunch buffet that's totally reasonable London prices. Fave dishes was a cool avocado, spinach, pea salad and a lentil-stuffed tomato. I didn't try any of the desserts, though, so I'll be back!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment