Sunday 18 January 2015

The Weekend--all in one!

I missed a day! Drat!! That is a first, I think… for this blog.

And it isn't like I didn't do some fun stuff this weekend (though, admittedly, I also made sure to leave A LOT of time for work).

Saturday, yesterday, was the Docklands. A cool, newly-designed part of the city. The usual story-- run down warehouses newly gentrified. Very cool architecture at the underground station, for example. The kind of design that shows us what it's doing… I thought it was cool! The DLR was fine-- I didn't get what everyone loves about it. It's EXACTLY like SF's Muni, for example. Just a normal old tram… Back to the Jubilee line on the underground: MAN was I down deep! My ears popped!! There are times I have to NOT think about how far underground I am when I'm riding the tube--or close to the surface, alternately… It's all just weird to me!

Back to the Docklands. I went there specifically to scout out a museum that I might want to take both classes to: Museum of London, Docklands. All about that particular area of the city and IT'S history. Also, there's an exhibit on London, Sugar, Slavery-- that hits about all my triggers. And it was really good. The whole museum was surprisingly good. Interesting about stuff that you didn't think you were at all interested in. The history of the ports of London... (oh, how my friend Sarah would have loved it!) The various purposes these docks were used for… whaling made an appearance, which brought in all my memories of Melville, natch… And then of course, what was involved in the Triangle Trade that brought in all this new wealth to the city. It was a great exhibit, and I spent an hour just in the exhibit without really trying. I think the students will appreciate it-- and I can do my whole Twain chapter spiel… It all connects!!

Ate at the connected cafe…I am not the kind of person who frequents the cafes connected to museums. But sometimes they just hit you as soon as you realize you're absolutely starving. And this was named something witty-- like Rum and Sugar or something like that. AND there was a lunch special… :) Anyway, the food was richer than I should have…but tasty!! And lots of broccoli! :)

Spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the docks--ooh, how naughty-sounding of me-- rephrase: the oh-so gentrified docks… and then back home early to get a couple of cfps out that were already running late! Oops!

Kind of the same thing for today. CAPA organized a walking tour of the same area that I've already been--the South Bank. But I thought I'd check out their system…and I could always make my way back whenever. :)

And that is exactly what I spent almost all the rest of the day doing. South Bank I knew, but not the North Bank yet. So-- I checked it out-- half closed on a Sunday… but still, I got to see it a little! Blackfriars Bridge, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, Twinings Tea Shop and display in the back… Fleet Street and The Strand. Another random changing of the horse guards-- I keep stumbling on those! 10 Downing Street--or as close as I could get to it! That kind of thing. Walked back home through St James Park, Hyde Park, and Kensington Gardens. A LOVELY walk--but once I got home I realized it was an extraordinarily LONG one… Well, I guess I got my exercise today!

Now, time for a cuppa my souvenir Twinings tea! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment