Thursday 29 January 2015

Research days

Soooo… unless you're dying to hear about Twain in London and his various visits and residences here, I don't suppose you'll be very interested in hearing about my last few days-- and more or less my course of study for the next few weeks. :)

I've been having fun, though, which is saying something considering I'm just reading about this guy I already have read SO MUCH about… this could be a very boring job. Instead, I am loving it!! And the fact that all my reading about Twain is really double-dipping for my own research AND my teaching this semester is an added bonus.

I did see the two plays this week--King Charles III and the Talented Mr Ripley. Both were good and not QUITE my cup of tea (that phrase will forever have a different and deeper meaning for me after this semester!). I could NOT get it out of my head when watching the little off-West End, or "Fringe," show of TMR in its little black box theater that I was JUST like Friends watching one of Joey's ridiculous plays… NOT that TMR was like one of his shows--like Freud the Musical or any of those. It was a good play--and I hadn't seen the movie so I was surprised by the end. There's just an earnestness that seemed similar… And there are so few people in the audience that they CAN see me just as much as I see them. And I know they'd take it personally if I start checking my phone…

So, you might think that means I won't go back… but that's not at all the case. The same venue is having a show about Joan of Arc, and I'm thinking about going. :) AND another place--closer to the university--is having a new-age circus soon. THAT I'm totally down for!! And now I'm thinking maybe I branch out and go to concerts and other stuff like that… And not just go to theater JUST to go to theater. It was nice to see the "IT" show of the year, though. That would be King Charles III… Now I can sound knowing if anyone was to ask me about it… ;)

In terms of research, I am also reading up on everything "tea." I'm reading histories about it, the history of China, trade and war and imperialism, the development of porcelain around that same time--convenient to serve and drink the tea out of… It is interesting stuff! I'm not sure where it will fit into all the rest of the work… but tea is pretty general--I'm sure I can find somewhere…

This is my struggle right now. I'm trying to force a chapter…it's not exactly flowing yet. Every once in a while, though, often while listening to one of the food forum talks, I get a bolt of inspiration… now I just have to translate that into actual performance.

But I'm doing better, I think. I'm hitting a bit of a stride… Getting some routine going in terms of work and study AND tourist-elements. It is a LOT that I'm trying to get done this semester… So now I get to see how close to that goal I can get!!

And now, to read/research good old Dickens for my OTHER class. It's a rough life… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment