Monday 26 January 2015

Catching up

OK-- I officially feel guilty! I am so far behind what my goal was (nothing too special--just a post a day). And that did NOT work. I will have to reassess these goals… Do I gut-check and just get better at this--or do I chillax a little and let the blogs come along as they will. This is a writing gig but not the bulk of the writing that I'm hoping/planning to do while I'm here. THAT would be a book chapter…and that I haven't even STARTED!

So this weekend CAPA took the lot of us out to Stonehenge and Bath. I took all the pictures in the world, I think. (Possible exaggeration alert!) While it's always a pain to be part of a tour group, it was nice as well to just turn off my brain and not worry about getting lost all the time (my usual state of being when I'm traveling-- even to the grocery store, truth be told!)… When I was in London before, I did Avebury along with Stonehenge, and they pair up very nicely. I don't know why these tour groups don't do that--but they don't… So maybe I'll try to get back out there--but I HAVE seen it already, so there's a pretty good chance that I won't…




Sunday was a super-quiet day. Just tooled around the neighborhood. Having said that, of course I still went to a museum to check it out to see if it would be a good place to take the class one week. It was the Museum of Brands and Advertising. Yep--a whole museum about how packaging has changed over the years. You can see the link-y for a class about food and how culture and food has developed… :) Even the Twain class can see all the Victorian elements that would have been so influential to Twain. So that will probably stay on the syllabus--even tho it's a museum with a charge… and I try to avoid those.

Another thing I have been doing is seeing all the plays I can. This past week it was The Changeling--an old school revenge drama. So everyone has to die in the end, of course. The old candlelit theater was great--and they used actual Hollywood-esque fake blood that spurted across the stage and everything. That was fun!! Tonight I'm seeing a show called King Charles III-- a future history play about what could happen if/when Prince Charles EVER actually gets to be king. Apparently it is THE show to see--and this is its last week in London. I wonder if it will be all London-esque references and inside jokes. Or if I'll get most of it… We'll see…

Later this week, I'm going to my first "Fringe" theater show. It's smaller and cheaper shows that have come very highly recommended to me… This one is a retelling of the Talented Mr Ripley story. So that could be fun! That will bring my January shows total to six: Cirque du Soleil, Harry IV I and II, The Changeling, King Charles III, and The Talented Mr Ripley… Keep this up, and I might just have to call myself cultured after all!

Till next time…

C:

No comments:

Post a Comment